Q: If My Husband Builds Up a Lot of Credit In His Name and One Day He Dies Am I Responsible for His Bills? We are Married But Never Lived Together
A: If someone passes away and leaves credit card debts or other bills, those obligations are not automatically transferred to the person’s heirs or surviving relatives, provided those individuals were not listed as joint owners or co-signers of the debt. So as long as you did not have joint accounts – such as credit cards, auto loans, a mortgage, etc. – and the debts that he incurred were his alone, you would not be forced to pay those bills in the event he dies.
This Article Answered The Following Money Questions:
- in illinois if my husband passes and has a credit card dept am i responsible for it
- am I liable for bills incurred by husband if he passed away
- am i responsible for deceased husband depts could i lose my mortage free home
- am i responsible for my hubsands college loans in his name
- Will I be required to pay my husbands redits whe he is dessest