Here are 5 common techniques used by con artists out to steal your debit card information and your money:
- Keystroke-logger. This is computer spyware that records every
keystroke typed on a computer and is used to steal confidential personal
information and passwords.
- Cellphone. A bystander distracts you while a scammer uses the camera
built into his cellphone to snap digital pictures of your name, your
credit card, and the expiration date. Criminals may also place tiny
cameras on or near ATM machines in a bank lobby to record your data when
you make a withdrawal.
- Skimmers. Clever scammers work in restaurants, gas stations, and
other establishments. One trick is planting a card-reader in the
register. Skimmers steal info like your address, telephone pin, etc.
- Card-switchers. When you are at a restaurant, card switchers steal your card and give you back a fake card or expired one.
- Phishers. Scammers send fake e-mails designed to convince you to give up your bank card information.
- debit card scams to avoid
Latest posts by Lynnette Khalfani-Cox, The Money Coach (see all)
- 10 Horrible Business Practices That Make Me Shut My Purse - July 21, 2014