What is the Due Date for a Tax Extension of a 2011 Federal Income Tax Return?

by Lynnette Khalfani-Cox, The Money Coach on April 14, 2012

in Taxes

file your taxes


Editor’s note: This article pertains to the 2011 tax filing season.


If you’ve been procrastinating about filing your taxes and realize you need more time to file your 2011 federal income tax return, you will need to request a tax extension before April 17, 2012.


Requesting an extension will give you six months of breathing room to prepare all of the necessary paperwork. Just remember that if you do owe the IRS taxes, you will need to make that payment before the regular tax deadline (April 17, 2012). Paying your taxes late will result in interest charges and late payment fees.


Here’s what you need to know about due dates for tax extensions for 2011 federal Income tax returns:


Requesting a Tax Extension for Your 2011 Federal Income Tax Return 

You will be eligible for a 6-month extension of time to file after completing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.


Make sure you fill out this form thoroughly and accurately so that you are granted the extension and don’t have to worry about preparing the paperwork for up to six months from the regular tax deadline.

Due Dates for 2011 Federal Income Tax Return Extensions 

The due date for all 2011 Federal Tax Extensions is April 17, 2012. Your Form 4868 must be postmarked on or before this date to be considered received by the IRS and ultimately to get approved.


Once received, you will have until October 15, 2012 to file your 2011 Income Tax Return. This is the last day to submit your tax return electronically (efile) or by regular mail.


Keep in mind that state tax extension due dates vary by state and you will need to work directly with your state’s Department of Revenue to find out when your extension is due, and when your last day to file will be.


Previous post:

Next post: