filed taxes in your name

What to Do If Someone Files Taxes Using Your SSN

If you receive a notice from the IRS stating that you have filed two (or more) tax returns this year, someone may be using your Social Security number illegally.

If someone is filing taxes using your Social Security number, you could be missing out on employment benefits when you retire because the Social Security Administration will assume you have earned a certain amount during your career.

If you suspect someone is using your Social Security number, you can report the incident as identity theft and will need to contact the IRS to inform them that your SSN is being misused.

Here’s what you need to do:

Step 1: Contact the IRS

When you receive your notice from the IRS in the mail, it will contain a contact name, address and phone number. You will need to report the situation by mail or fax everything to the IRS as soon as possible.

Make sure to include Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit, and a copy of your driver’s license, passport or other type of government-issued identification to prove that you are who you say you are. If you have reported the situation to the police, include a copy of the police report as well.

You can submit this information in the following ways:

Mailing address:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 9039
Andover, MA 01810-0939

FAX: Note that this is not a toll-free FAX number

The IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit also has agents who can assist with this process, but you should only contact them if you have not heard anything from the IRS after mailing or faxing in your form and identifying information. You can call the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-08-4490.

Step 2: Request a Copy of Your Social Security Statement

You will need to contact the Social Security Administration toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office to get a copy of your Social Security Statement. This statement lists the total amount of earnings that have been posted on your record. If you find some discrepancy, you can request to have those earnings removed and bring everything up to date.

Step 3: Report the Situation to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

The FTC is responsible for handling identity theft cases and can work with law enforcement agencies to track down the criminal. Since your identity has been compromised with the misuse of your SSN, you can report the incident to the FTC and let their team catch the thief. Call the FTC directly at 1-877-IDTHEFT and learn more about your options by reviewing the materials on the FTC Identity Theft website.

If you find that someone is using your SSN to file taxes, you need to take action immediately.

Scroll to Top

Stay Informed with Our Exclusive Newsletter!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss out on the latest updates, exclusive offers, and insightful articles.

We respect your privacy!