About the College Federal Work Study Program

If you are looking for different ways to pay for your college education, consider the benefits of the Federal Work-Study program.

This program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students and allows them to work part-time while they are enrolled in a degree program.

The position can be on or off-campus and gives students a chance to earn money to pay for some of their college education, and also gain some valuable work experience.

Students get to work in their communities, learn from mentors and community members, and enhance their education with hands-on experience in their field of study.

How the Federal Work Study Program Works

The Federal Work Study Program provides only part-time employment for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled in a college program. It’s available to students who can demonstrate financial need, and the expectation is that the money earned through the program will help them pay for school.

Both part-time and full-time students can enroll in this program, and employment options are related to the student’s course of study or in the civic education field.

Most students who get a job on campus end up working directly for their school in some capacity. Those who end up working off campus will typically work for a nonprofit organization or a public agency. Only some schools have an agreement with private for-profit employers and the job must be relevant to the student’s course of study.

Enrolling in the Federal Work Study Program

Only some schools participate in the Federal Work-Study Program and are granted a specific amount of award funds. These funds are available on a first come, first served basis, so it’s important to apply for financial aid as early as possible.

This program is considered to be a type of award and you’re guaranteed to earn at least the current federal minimum wage. The total award amount granted will depend on when you apply, your level of financial need, and the school’s funding level.

Getting Paid through the Federal Work Study Program

Most undergraduate students are paid by the hour, while graduate and professional students are paid by the hour or by salary. The school usually pays you directly, unless you set up a direct deposit to your bank account or authorize that the funds be used to pay for any school-related expenses or a balance you are carrying at your educational institution.

You’ll be assigned a set amount of work hours through this program, and the amount of work won’t exceed part-time status. To be sure you don’t get overworked, your employer and the financial aid office will take your class schedule into account.

Scroll to Top

Stay Informed with Our Exclusive Newsletter!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss out on the latest updates, exclusive offers, and insightful articles.

We respect your privacy!