Cutting taxes

Can I Claim the Child Tax Credit Plus the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

Q: Can I claim the child tax credit plus the child and dependent care credit?

A: As long as you legally qualify for both credits, you are allowed to claim both the Child Tax Credit and the Child and Dependent Care Credit, according to IRS rules.

To claim these credits on your taxes, simply calculate the amounts of the credits to which you are entitled, then file your 1040 tax return plus any other required forms.

For most taxpayers, no extra form or special schedule is required to claim the Child Tax Credit. You just claim it right on line 51 of your 1040 (or on line 33 of 1040A).

However, if you are claiming the Child Tax Credit for a dependent child who has an ITIN, then you must attach Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit, to your 1040 or 1040A form.

Likewise, if you are claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit, you are required to complete IRS Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, and submit that form to the IRS along with your 1040.

For more information on these credits, be sure to review IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Credit, and IRS Publication, 972 Child Tax Credit.

Scroll to Top

Stay Informed with Our Exclusive Newsletter!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss out on the latest updates, exclusive offers, and insightful articles.

We respect your privacy!