due date

What is the Due Date for My State Income Tax Return and Tax Extension?

Editor’s note: This article pertains to the 2011 tax year.

If you still haven’t filed your state income tax and are considering requesting an extension, make sure you’re aware of all filing due dates for the 2011 tax year.

Every state has different filing deadlines and missing the deadline could result in some heavy penalties and fees.

Keep in mind that even though you might request an extension to file your taxes, any taxes you owe to your state government need to be paid in full before the regular due date. If you can’t make this payment, you will need to make payment arrangements or you’ll end up paying extra fees.

During 2012, here’s what you need to know about due dates for your 2011 state income tax return and tax extensions:  Due Date for State Income Tax Returns 

State income tax return deadlines are the same for most states except for: Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Louisiana, Nebraska, and Virginia. Those state deadlines are as follows:

Delaware: 4/30/2012

Hawaii: 4/20/2012

Iowa: 4/30/2012

Louisiana: 5/15/2012

Nebraska: 4/15/2012

Virginia: 5/1/2012

States that do not require that their residents pay a state income tax are:  Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. 

All other states have a 4/17/2012 state income tax return filing deadline. Note that this is the same tax-filing deadline as when you must file your federal income tax return. Also, be aware that just because you get an extension from the IRS to file your federal tax return later, that doesn’t give you an extension to file your state taxes later.

Due Dates for State Tax Extensions 

If you’re requesting a tax extension from your state, you will need to make sure your state extension is submitted on time or it will not be approved. If you owe your state government taxes this year, you will need to remit full payment on or before the filing deadline and then just submit your completed tax return before the due date after the extension.

The due dates for requesting a tax extension are the same as the standard filing deadline in your respective state. (Refer to the list above). 

Except for Indiana, Iowa, and Virginia, the due date for filing your taxes after getting a tax extension is 10/15/2012.

Due dates for the other three states mentioned are as follows:

Indiana: 11/15/2012 (with Federal Extension); 6/17/2012 with Form IT-9

Iowa: 10/31/2012

Virginia: 11/1/2012

Keep in mind that you will need to fill out an official application for an extension from your state’s Department of Revenue. You can do a quick Google search to find this form or visit your state’s Department of Revenue website for more information about state tax-filing procedures.

And remember: If you don’t pay any taxes owed on time, you will have to pay interest on the balance in addition to any late payment fees.

Scroll to Top

Stay Informed with Our Exclusive Newsletter!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss out on the latest updates, exclusive offers, and insightful articles.

We respect your privacy!